Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yellow-spotted millipede, Discovery Park

The bright colors on this glossy critter signal that it is poisonous. Poke one, and you're likely to get a whiff of almonds: the scent of cyanide. It's what allows the millipede to go about its business on the forest floor, without the tedious business of ducking under pieces of leaf litter. But poison gas hasn't stopped this one from picking up a passenger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I picked one up when we went camping. I thought it was some unknown species of caterpillers. It had to be poisonous didn't it. I saw 10 in one visit.